Thursday, September 2, 2010

Losing it...

I've lost it. Unfortunately, "it" was not my mind, though I suppose I could make that argument after losing my wallet in a flustered taxi transfer. After my inaugural trip to Costco, I loaded my my bags in a cab just to have the driver turn around to tell me he was finished for the day and he couldn't take me home. Really, Mr. Taxi Driver? You couldn't have mentioned that as I clambored into your vehicle... thank you SO much.

So, I hoisted my stuff out and hailed a new taxi. We drove for five minutes before a sinking feeling set in. I frantically started looking for my wallet, and soon I realized, it was gone. My cabbie returned to where he picked me up, at my request, to see if perhaps my wallet was in the road, but it wasn't. So, apparently, I managed to leave valuable business cards of contacts, hundreds of dollars in cash (Costco only accepts cash), my Alien Registration Card (to keep me legal in SoKo), and my debit card in the first taxi.

Thankfully, though, I had my T-Money card in my pocket, so I could at least hop on the subway to get home after I tearfully inquired within Costco if anyone had turned in my wallet.

No worries, though. Two days later, I was back in business with a new debit card and an ARC... The six-hour return trip to Yangju Immigration was the biggest pain in the ass about the whole ordeal (except, of course, for losing my cash). I spent only 20 minutes in the office. After submitting a reissuance application, two passport photos, and a 10,000 won (approx. $10) fee, I was handed a new Alien Card. I could only think how lucky I was to be in country that doesn't have such a phobia about immigrants. (Not that I'm an immigrant here, but I am working, so... you know what I mean.) God help the Mexican in the U.S who loses his/her Green Card and tries to replace it. I hardly think they would have as easy as a time as I did in SoKo. So, for that easy process, I am grateful.

Now. Dear Universe, if you could somehow convince my off-duty cab driver to send me my cash, I would be forever grateful. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment