Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fall arrives; Chuseok begins; another trip to Japan

The weather has turned. It's officially fall and I couldn't ask for better days and temperatures than those of today and the last few days. I've been on vacation for a week (whoo-hooo!) as Korea celebrated Chuseok... In celebration of the holiday, my coordinator at school gave me hand lotion, a coworker gave me New Zealand toothpaste (and, no, I don't think he was trying to tell me anything), and my vice principal gave two bottles of wine to the Western teachers (not individually). Yay for Korean holidays!

** About Chuseok -- Chuseok is a major harvest festival and a three-day holiday in Korea celebrated on the 15th day of the 8th month of the lunar calendar. Like many other harvest festivals, it is held around the Autumn Equinox. As a celebration of the good harvest, Koreans visit their ancestral hometowns and share a feast of Korean traditional food such as songpyeon. **

Last Friday, my school held a dinner welcoming our new teachers after several of us hiked a mountain (which was beautiful)... The dinner was great, morale was high, and true to form, the evening progressed into a night of noraebong.

I left the following day for a five-day trip to Okinawa, Japan to visit my sister and nieces/nephew. Although short, it was a good to see them and I'm so happy that I had the time available to jet over there!

Unfortunately, I left my camera there (at least I didn't lose it), but it's going to cost a pretty penny to have it mailed to me. The question on my mind now is, is it worth it? Should I pay a fraction of the price of a new camera (probably the smarter, financially responsible thing to do) OR do I take the plunge and buy a new camera? Such decisions.

In the meantime, I'm going to set up a Flickr account to share my photos. Soon, I'll post the address.

I discovered a new path close to my apartment leading up to a small mountain and took full advantage of this crazy, beautiful weather by hiking the other day. I've also been playing catch-up on a number of random, relatively unimportant, but lingering organizational tasks lately. Makes me feel good and productive, but now, I think it's time for some fresh air!

No comments:

Post a Comment