Monday, May 31, 2010

Bound for Okinawa, Japan

*Pics to be included soon*

Five days was hardly enough, but it was so great to see my sister and family after nearly two
years! Currently based in Okinawa, Katie is closer to Taiwan than Japan, and the culture of Okinawa is, by most locals' accounts, decidedly Okinawan and not Japanese. With two brilliantly beautiful days when I arrived, Katie, the kids, and I walked to the Okinawa Zoo on Day 1-- and although we didn't see any of the animals, we did catch an Okinawan dance performance that was awesome.

Not necessarily feeling awkward, Katie was nonetheless accutely aware that she and I were the only Westerners in the park (well, except for two men, who were individually with Japanese women, which prompted Katie and I to discuss the intricacies of "inner-culture" marriage/relationships... since I haven't cleared this blog entry with her, I will refrain from sharing her viewpoint... and mine, too... stay tuned for Chapter 5 of my book. I'm conducting more research while in SoKo about the fascination men have for Asians.)

Because Katie and Chris live off-base (FYI: they are not "military;" rather, Chris is civil service with the Navy), Katie experiences a more authentic experience amongst Okinawans. Which isn't saying it's all that great. Okinawans are especially hostile (not necessarily phyically harmful, though) to Americans right now. For one thing, the American military has a base for each of its branches -- army, navy, air force, marines, etc -- on the island. And as is bound to happen anywhere, there have been unfortunate incidents between soldiers and Oki civilians (the most recent is one in which a soldier was drunk driving and killed an Okinawan). But the main thing, is that Okinawans want one particular base off the island. And a Japanese politician campaigned on the promise that he would make it happen.

So, when I was in Okinawa, tensions were high because talks of moving the base were to be held in the coming weeks. I say this to say that the stares Katie and I received from the Japanese are much more severe than the harmless, non-hostile curious stares I receive from Koreans.

*Sidenote: Since then (May 5-9), the politician renegged on his campaign promise, causing much upheaval amongst Okinawans. Although he said it was because of North Korea sank a South Korean ship (see other entry!), who knows if that's the truth, or a simple convenient scape goat?

My nephew, who is almost one year old, is bar none the cutest damn kid around. Of course, don't all aunts say the same thing of their nephews? But, because Katie gave birth to Brennan in Japan, I hadn't met him yet, and it was amazing.

Day 2 was a trip to Hamahiga, a not-so-well known small beach about an hour from Oki City. I had already known from my descent into Okinawa how much I missed the water, but being on the beach cemented my heartache. I am, first and foremost, a water girl. With seven generations of Floridians in my blood, I suppose it's genetic, but after settling in Orlando (yes, I know it was only an hour or so to the nearest beach) for so long, and now Korea, I know in my heart: I'm meant to be on, by, or in water!

Katie's husband had a 24-hour "layover" at home (his job takes him to far-reaching places on the globe for undetermined amounts of time) on Saturday, so I offered to babysit the kids so they could have a "Date Night." So, after a day of watching one of my nieces play soccer and then shopping for "American" products on the base to bring back with me to Korea (really, I just needed a new supply of Crystal Light lemonade!), I settled in for a night with the kids. After making dinner, changing Brennan, doing arts and crafts, and putting the kids to bed, I felt super domestic -- something I don't ever feel. Something I'm ok with not feeling right now :) I quietly thanked the universe for my current position in life.

Sunday morning, we made the trek to the airport. It was sad to leave Katie and the kids, but we'd had an awesome time.

Thanks again, Korea, for celebrating Children's Day, which gave me the opportunity to chill with the fam for a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment